Sunday, July 20, 2014

A New Journey... HOLY... COW... and starting photos...

So here is the blah, blah, blah (because you've heard the first part before)...

... back to work over two years ago... still working out 5 times a week, but for much shorter times... long distance training took a dive... which led to a 2 year plateau in my weight loss, then an accumulated increase of 10 pounds and race times that were getting slower instead of faster.  It was not for lack of support because my family, friends and my sweet husband support me every step of the way.  This was an internal struggle (those darn negative voices that love to bounce around in your head) and I was losing grasp of my goals... be healthy... feel sexy... work hard... have fun... ENJOY!

There is a goal that I have wanted to acheive, but with the lack of dedication I've been struggling with, I kept telling myself that this goal was too far out of grasp. 

In March, (while doing housework) I spent 10 hours on and off my computer watching the live feed from this particular race and watched several of my friends achieve this goal.  I was SOOOO inspired... but it wasn't my time...

I have had friends for the past few months telling me it was time for me to go after this goal, but I said, "this isn't my time." 

Last weekend, at lunch after the high school reunion triathlon, the group was talking about this particular event and said that registration would be opening this week and that it would sell out in 2-3 days.  I don't know why, but that deadline stuck with me... I couldn't stop thinking about it... and telling myself, "2015 is not my time... maybe 2016..."

Then, the night before registration was to open, I read something on Facebook about a TV show... "Extreme Weight Loss," that follows someone for a year through an incredible journey... and this particular gal started at 329 pounds and completed a half Ironman race, with only 2 months of training.  http://abc.go.com/shows/extreme-weight-loss/episode-guide/season-04/407-brandi

I woke up the next morning, sat down with Jeff as we were getting ready for work, and told/asked him, "it is my time..."  We discussed the training and time commitments, cost ($400 just to register-with the insurance-for this race) new wetsuit (mine doesn't meet the rules), nutrition, hydration, San Diego Tri Club for training and support... (it was a pretty serious conversation for 6:30AM)  We both thought about it that day, slept on it, and agreed the next morning, it was indeed time!

So, without further delay, I'm thrilled to say that I'm registered for and going to complete my FIRST HALF IRONMAN TRIATHLON... Oceanside 70.3!!!  WOOOOO HOOOOO!

I did my first road run this weekend, after making this choice, and already I felt a mental shift in my training.  A (5) mile run in the past has been a chore (because running is my worst of the parts of a triathlon), but this time, I smiled to myself the whole time... I slowed it down just a bit... and kept telling myself it was time to relax into a pace that I could do all... day... long... because, well, I may be pushing the time limit to finish this race (8.5 hours).  I'm excited about finding my training plan, nutrition and getting everything in ink for the next 8 months.

Which leads me to the last part of this post.  I haven't been posting my photos for quite some time and now, it feels like this is the first post of my new journey.  I'm excited and curious to see what is going to happen in the next (8) months... but for today, here is where I'm starting... week #1 in journey .2...

First week of my 70.3 journey...
205 pounds
THIS is where I need to lose...







No comments: