Friday, January 21, 2011

Yes... B...A...T...H...I...N...G SUITS!

Soooooo... one of the things that you HAVE to have when training for and competing in TRIATHLONS is a bathing suit...  let me tell you a story...

When I was pregnant with Anna, I bought myself a maternity bathing suit.  It was very cute... 2 pieces... a maternity navy blue bottom and a darling V-neck prego top... navy and white flowers... I LOVED this bathing suit.  And it worked well for me while I was pregnant...

... and for the year after Anna was born...

... and for the 5 YEARS after Anna was born...

I TRIED!  I tried to find another bathing suit that I could fit into but I simply COULDN'T find a suit that fit and I WASN'T GOING TO SPEND $150+ for a custom suit that would fit... I LOVED that maternity suit, and on the RARE occasion that I would put on a bathing suit, that maternity suit worked just fine...

... except that it wasn't OK with me...  I KNEW that I was wearing a maternity bathing suit... and JEFF KNEW that I was still wearing a maternity bathing suit.  SADLY... for several years, I DID NOT go into the pool, into the ocean... I would wear a t-shirt and shorts with my kids to the beach... I didn't play with them... I wouldn't swim with them... WHAT!!!!!!!!?  SERIOUSLY!!!!!???  As my teens would say, "That is just MESSED UP!"

Then I started the Weight Loss Challenge at my YMCA and I started training for triathlons.  A year ago, I went to Costco and they were selling "Speedo" bathing suits up to size 18.  Now, remember, I had not bought a new suit for over 5 years. 

I purchased a bathing suit.

I took it home and tried it on... and SURPRIZINGLY... IT FIT!  And I wore that suit to compete in my first triathlon... the 2010 Rose Bowl Triathlon. 

So... I went to Costco a few days ago to buy a new suit... and guess what!?  I bought TWO BATHING SUITS OFF THE RACK... one is a size 18... for me to train in right now... and one in a size 16... because I KNOW I am going to lose the weight and will wear that CUTE bathing suit in front of a few thousand people at the race! 

So, which is the size 16... you are going to have to wait and see...

2 comments:

Toni said...

I'm hearing you Tracey. Searching for a cozzie (translation=swimsuit) is not one of my favourite things to do. But I LOVE a swim at the beach. So I go for plain black boardies (boardshorts) and a tankini and hope I don't attract too much attention. It's Australia Day on 25th Jan which is a National Holiday and we'll be heading to Thirroul Beach for our annual picnic with friends. And I will be going for that swim....

Gloria Stengel said...

Well, you are not the only one to wear your maternity bathing suit after you've had the baby! My sad story is that I lost all the weight and wore a size 10 suit in 2002 when the "baby" was 2. Sadly the suit in my drawer is a 16 and the chest area is WAY to big for me so I show way more than I want to! I do love my old maternity one, but I refuse to wear it!