Monday, October 3, 2011

1st PLACE - Mission Bay Triathlon... Who said Big Girls CAN'T Race/WIN...?

HOLY COW!  I've hit another milestone that I knew would come someday... I just didn't realize that the day was NOW!  All of us are trying to better ourselves... improve our self confidence... get the spring back in our step... and with all that personal betterment, bring the smile... the special glance... the sexy back to our marriages. 

My journey is "Full Monty," right... I guess that
includes this photo in my wetsuit... Jessica and
Anna with me since 4:15 AM!
I have been obesly overweight, so my plan for the past 2 years was to lose weight by training for a few races each year... once a race was over, I would sign up for the next one.  As long as our hard earned money was committed to a race, I HAD to get up and get to the gym.  The training was great for my weight loss and helped me work toward a HUGE goal of mine... to SOMEDAY podium at a race!

I entered the Mission Bay Triathlon in the Athena category... reserved for those female competitors that weigh 160 pounds and above.  When I registered for the race, I was well above 200 pounds, so I figured this was the group for me, but I was still racing against gals that had a HUGE weight advantage on me... but it seems it didn't matter...

... I... TOOK... 1ST... PLACE... IN... MY... CATEGORY... AND , overall fastest Athena as the winner of the younger Athena category was 2 minutes behind me...

... I'll let the photos of the day tell the rest of the story...

Start of the race... I am right in the center of the photo... one of my legs kicking high in the water... and I'm
stretching long like Coach Elizabeth told me to... WHAT A WAY to start the day... sun rising on San Diego...

SERIOUSLY... I'M IN THE FRONT OF THE PACK!???  That's me...
in the front with my right arm taking the stroke...
Running to the 1st transition... rip off swim cap/goggles...
start stripping off wetsuit as you run...
Hummm... I don't look so bad from the back...
I'm soaked from the swim and getting ready for
the bike race... strip off the rest of the wetsuit... socks on...
clip shoes on... helmet and glasses on... BREATHE... grab
the bike and RUN... this is T1...
Almost to the line where I can get on my bike... WOOO HOOOO!
End of the bike... thinking about the next transition "T2"... take off helmet...
change to running shoes... R...U...N!!!
I...LOVE... THIS... PHOTO!  The start of the run...
behind me in the red tank, Paula... one of my YMCA Weight Loss
Challenge teammates... NOW A YMCA TRAINER... and Laura,
my original Weight Loss Coach... she has ALWAYS believed in me...
PUSHED me... and was now RUNNING WITH ME holding the
YMCA sign... I LOVE MY Palomar YMCA Tri Club and FAMILY!!!
 I'm curious... WHAT GYM has their trainers and Directors come to a race location
to support their members... THE PALOMAR YMCA!!!  That's who! 
Paula and me... REPRESENTING with our "Y" tattos!
Yes, I did a little silly dance when I received my FIRST PLACE MEDAL! 
Anna couldn't hold back... she ran up to be with me!
There is more to tell of this story... tomorrow with my weigh in photos! 

No matter WHAT YOUR GOAL...

YOU... CAN... DO... ANYTHING...
YOU... SET... YOUR... MIND... TO!

4 comments:

Claire T said...

Wow! How awesome. I am following your blog from Singapore and I am finding it a great read. Next step to join in. Congratulations!!

Tracey's Father said...

Tracey, we're very proud of you! Wish we could have been there to cheer you on.

Lori said...

Tracy, I entered the race as an Athena as well, my first triathlon, EVER!! -and i finished last in the master athena! Lol -It was quite the event.. I am inspired by your story and know how hard you worked..I recently had a breast cancer scare and this was my goal to get back into training and working out. I was the girl way in the back on the swim! My brother is in San Diego so I will be back next year, so keep training sister because I am hot on your trail! :-) congrats on your win!

Unknown said...

ClaireTet... Come on and join in! Whatever your goals are... YOU set them and YOU can make them happen! Please share your journey with us, too!

Mom and Dad... that will teach you to go to Palm Springs when I have a big race! :-) Love you a ton and I knew you were with my in spirit!

Lori... you just put a HUGE smile on my face! CONGRATS, Miss Triathlete!!! My overall time last year was almost 1:47... your run split time beat my 2010 run split by almost 6 minutes! A breast cancer scare is a great reason to get moving, but now that you are a triathlete, I'm sure you have the bug! One day at a time... one workout at a time, you will get stronger and faster and I will take your challenge for next year! :-) I'd be happy to chat with you more offline... traceylocher@cox.net. You are a ROCK STAR, Lori!