Sunday, July 14, 2013

Carlsbad Tri... MVHS Reunion Tri... Jeff's first Tri...

Jeff and me (and Anna and Abby) picked up the
race packets for our teams... 16 hours to go
before race time!
... what an AMAZING day!  :-)  Next weekend is my 25th high school reunion from Mission Viejo High School - class of 1988.  Several months back, a few of us reconnected and found that we are all doing triathlons or one leg of a tri, so we decided to set up (2) relay teams for the Carlsbad Triathlon... one week before our reunion... sort of a reunion challenge!

Ends up that someone on the "other" team had to back out so Jeff decided to fill in... for his first tri... doing the bike leg... on the team against me... and I was also doing the bike leg for my team... hence, we have had some fun smack talk going on for the past few months.  There was no doubt in my mind that Jeff would beat me on the bike leg, but it was a matter of how much time he would gain for his team.

Who knew that a 1,000 meter beach start swim...
... 16 mile bike...
... and 3.1 mile run could be SOOOOOO MUCH FUN? :-) 

As usual, the photos will tell the story...

OUR transition area... you have NO idea how much I have waited
to say those words! :-)  Yes, we were on opposite teams, but my
sweet husband was doing a triathon with me...OK... against me...
... who cares?  He was with me!
... in THIS corner, Team Justwingit...Steph, Roger and Jeff...
... and in the other corner, Team LoserBuysBeer... Mike and me (and Gary)...
who was supposed to do our run until he had knee surgery... a week ago... darn...
I had to have a mulit-time and trainer Ironman do our swim and bike... ;-)
I've never done or seen a beach start tri before...
... could this BE more beautiful?
... pretty big group for the beach start!
Jeff and I were jogging to warm up... I've NEVER run with Jeff...
I KNOW after today we will be a (2) member tri family!
 
Another photo of the beach start... oh... I should mention that we handed
our camera off to injured team member, Gary, who took all these
photos while we were warming up!  (THANK YOU!!!)
WOOO HOOOO!  There is my teammate, Ironman Mike, coming in
strong from the swim.  We saw him coming and this is when I started
getting nervous!  Since Mike was one of the first out of the water, there
was a bullseye on my back... and Jeff was all over it!
There is Jeff starting his first tri bike... white star on his back...
the race is ON!
JustWingIt runner Roger starting the run... and friend and regular
triathlete in the over 75 category, Bill Hines is at the front of the screen...
Ironman Mike finishing up our run... WOO HOOOOOOOOO!
Our teammates and family waiting for Roger from Jeff's team to finish...
And here comes Roger... up the left... GO, GO, GO!!!
Today was sooooo amazing.  A great course... great friends... and Jeff finally INSIDE the transition area with me.  Another great surprise were friends Matt and LaLa there at the finish cheering us on!  :-)  At lunch, after the race, we all agreed to do this again next year... although (3) months out, we will be picking names and race legs out of a hat... :-) 

And for those of you that were following the Jeff vs. Tracey bike challenge... yes, Jeff beat me in time... he finished 3:31 faster than me... however, my team took 6th place out of 21 co-ed tri teams and I met my goal of 18MPH even on this hilly course.  I had a GREAT ride thanks to Jeff's fixing of my gears... but Jeff had an even better ride.  Jeff will get the new jersey... but we were all winners today... by the numbers... and by the heart! :-)  Next year can't come soon enough!!!

No comments: