Friday, March 25, 2011

Foodie Friday... Salad Bar and Chicken Breast

Yes, I know it is still Lent, but I can still share a fun and quick dish that has some chicken!  (Mom and Dad, we are having shrimp pasta for dinner tonight...)

One of my favorite meals at the moment is a HUGE salad... YEP... salad for dinner!  There are so many wonderful things that you can throw into your salad... and when I make salad for dinner, I make sure to include ingredients that I don't use for our regular side salads... ingredient to differentiate the side salad from the "this is all your getting tonight, so enjoy it" salad! :-)  I also make sure to add some kind of protein with the salad.  This salad included a baked, boneless and skinless chicken breast.  Sometimes I make it more of a Cobb salad by slicing up some ham and turkey... either way, just be sure to get the protein in there!

2 Cups Lettuce - 16 calories, .2 fat gram, 1.5 diet fiber grams - 0 points
1/2 cup Tomato - 14 calories, .1 fat gram, 1 diet fiber gram - 0 points
1/2 cup Baby Corn - 25 calories, 0 fat grams, 2 diet fiber grams - 0 points
2 Hard boiled eggs (whites only) - 32 calories, 0 fat grams, 0 diet fiber - 0 points
1 oz. grated Cheddar cheese - 114 calories, 9.4 fat grams, 0 diet fiber - 3 points
1/2 cup Cilantro - 0 calories, 0 fat grams, 0 diet fiber grams - 0 points
1/2 cup mushrooms - 22 calories, .4 fat gram, 1.7 diet fiber grams - 0 points
salad dressing - Totally up to you... from fat free to lots of calories...
1 chicken breast (no skin) - 110 calories, 2.5 fat grams, 0 diet fiber grams - 3 points

Since so many of these items came up with 0 points, I added the calories, fat and dietary fiber grams together for the lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, baby corn and eggs and with 87 calories, .3 fat grams and 4.5 dietary fiber grams, I still only came up with 1 point for all of it.

Sooooo... you can pretty much STUFF yourself with a beautiful salad and a chicken breast for 4 points (if you leave off the cheese and use a fat free salad dressing!)  I did put a bit of breading on my chicken in the photo, but usually just bake or pan saute it.  A GREAT meal that is GREAT for you!

No comments: