Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Buble Music Day... memories and Dr. Laura...

I heard a song on the radio yesterday that made me tap my toes, put a smile on my face, and almost instantly LAUNCHED me into a distant and oh, so happy memory. 

Jeff and I knew almost immediately, after we started dating, that there was something special between us.  We also were well aware of the challenges that we faced since I had been married before and had two children... he had never been married, no kids.  We were both big fans of conservative radio show host, Dr. Laura Schlessinger, and used the years of advice we heard from her to help guide us through the sensitive issues we encountered during our 2 1/2 year courtship and engagement.  (BOY, oh boy do I have some great stories on this topic... for another time!) 

Flash forward to the above mentioned great memory... I remember one cool summer night... we had been dating for over a year and after going out to dinner, Jeff took me on a walk around Lake Mission Viejo.  Remember those early dating years when time just stood still when you were together... every word, every step you took as he gently held your hand... magically... floated... and on a warm southern California night, the air softly held you, the sky was decorated with stars (just for you), and you were so happy together that you dreaded the time that you would have to softly kiss and say, "Good Night."

This particular night, we sat on a bench, overlooking the moon drenched lake, and talked about the benefits of marriage.  I remember telling him all the wonderful things I remember about being married (before my first husband had an affair, of course)... all the while thinking, "I LOVE YOU, SILLY... ask me... ask me... ask me"... I refer to this period of my life as, "Ring Watch, 2000!"  

Most importantly, I VIVIDLY remember that as I was talking to him, I was SO DARN HAPPY that I was still able to feel such excitement and passion about marriage!  One of the things I was SO AFRAID of after my first husband's affair was that I wasn't going to be able to trust again... that I would be damaged and would carry toxic pain into my next marriage... SHOOT... if you ever listened to Dr. Laura, you heard people blame their previous pain on their current crappy decisions all the time!  I... DID... NOT... want my ex-husband's bad choices to ruin the rest of MY LIFE! 

I knew at that moment that I was going to be fine... that I loved this man with all my heart and we would (someday... since he hadn't proposed yet) live a very happy, loving and passionate life together.  ((( happy memory sigh )))

Soooooooo... after that long story, WHAT was the song that led to all those INTENSE emotions?  "Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael Buble.  We are all on a journey... some of us are working on our weight, some our confidence... some of us are married and wanting to be our husband's girlfriend again, and some of us are single and getting ourselves in a place to be ready for the love that is waiting to come through the door.  The emotion of the lyrics in this song... the cool beat and swing of the music...

even though I have loved Jeff for over a decade now... 

I continue to change... 

WE continue to change...

and we are constantly "meeting each other" again in so many ways...

... and falling in love over, and over, and over (ohhhhhhhhh, yeah!)
Isn't THAT what LOVE and LIFE is all about...!?

The song is over on the right of my blog... and we ARE changing the Soundtrack in our Heads... one song... one memory at a time!  Make it a FANTASTIC day!

No comments: