Sunday, February 19, 2012

Speed Road Bike Trial with Jeff... Fiesta Island...

14 days until my first International Distance Triathlon (Desert Tri... 3/4 mile swim, 24 mile bike, 6.2 mile run)...

Ready to race...?  Jeff has 30+ years experience on me...
one day, Sweetheart... I will beat you! 

Today, Jeff took me to Fiesta Island for a "speed trial..."  The Desert Tri 24 mile bike is VERY flat, and since we live in San Diego, which is the "Land 'o Hills," there aren't many places that you can ride... flat... for miles at a time without a stop sign or signal or hill.  So Jeff decided that we would drive the 40 minutes to Fiesta Island and do a full out, speed race...

... and all was good, until we found out there was a college triathlon on the island.  By the time we got there, they were finishing up, which meant a TON of traffic on the single lane road.  So on each 4 mile loop, we had to slow and/or STOP, TWICE each loop.  I chalk it up as good "cluster" training for the race.  Oh, and one more thing... anyone that has ridden on Fiesta Island knows there is a MAJOR head wind on one side of the island... unless it is a cloudy, windy day like today when pretty much the ENTIRE loop had a head wind!

My borrowed Orbea bike... THANK YOU, Uncle Dave,
you have helped to make my racing dreams come true!!!

Again... no problem.  We are going to add this training route to our regular schedule (babysitting permitting) because the headwind training is GREAT!!! 

Long story short... I want to do 20 MPH at the Desert Tri... and today, with the head wind and all the stopping... I averaged 18.9MPH!!!

The race will be flat... closed course... no head wind... and I am already at 18.9MPH... WOOO HOOO...

I WILL TOTALLY MEET MY GOAL FOR THE RACE!  I have said it before and I will say it again... BIG... GIRLS... CAN... RACE!!!

No comments: