Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Music Day and Flower Event #1... Our Proposal... (tissue alert!)

Ahhhhh... I need to compose myself here... have you ever had an experience that you just knew that God was sitting next to you, putting all the puzzle pieces together, and handing them to you in a nice little gift?  That TOTALLY just happened to me... let me share how today's MUSIC DAY and my story about our proposal for FLOWER DAY #1 just came crashing together!!!

A page from one of my VERY FIRST scrapbooks!  Be NICE!  This was back when the only embellishments you had were the Creative Memories color blocks and Mrs. Grossman's Stickers... ;-)
The next few days, I will be sharing some of the "BEST Uses of Flowers" that Jeff has ever pulled off!  Of course, with 10 dozen roses organized in vases surrounding our camping chairs... in the middle of a park... overlooking the Pacific Ocean at sunset, the proposal was one of Jeff's all time BEST!  We had planned to watch the sunset before going to dinner on our 19-month anniversary, but I had NO IDEA what was coming.  Jeff and I arrived at this park and the first thing that I noticed was Jeff's friend, Ric, standing in the bushes with a camera.  Just as I was pondering what that meant, I saw the flowers... and our chairs... and the tears started flowing.  There were probably a dozen or so other people in the park, all watching one of the most romantic moments of our lives! 

Jeff read me a letter he had written and then got down on one knee... and asked me to "be his wife and complete his life."  He had asked my parents for my hand several days before, and after I said, "Yes," we picked up the kids and took them out for a special dinner where Jeff asked Jessica and Christian to "be his son and daughter."  (are the tears flowing yet!?)

It was a wonderful evening and a perfect example of how Jeff likes to use flowers to evoke the feeling of love! 

Now, onto Music Day... since Jeff had Frank Sinatra playing in the car that night, I thought a special song by Frank would be perfect for today.  I was going through all Frank's songs and the title of a song popped up that INSTANTLY brought tears to my eyes, and as soon as the music started playing, I was sobbing.  My Grandfather (Papa) and Grandma Marge were soooooo in love.  One summer, they DROVE my sister and me from Southern California to Michigan. 

One of our FAVORITE memories of that trip
was when Papa and Grandma Marge sang one of their favorite songs...
they always sat up there... in the front seat... holding hands as Papa drove...
and singing to each other,
but there was one song that Mary and I have been singing since that day several decades ago. 
I even sang a part of it during my Eulogy at Papa's funeral...
5 years ago on February 13th...
yes, he passed 5 years and 2 days ago...
and February 13th was also Grandma Marge and Papa's wedding anniversary.

I NEVER knew who sang that song...
We've asked all the "oldsters" in the family and nobody knew the song...
until just now.
It was Frank.
And the song is, "Always."
And it is the PERFECT Frank song to represent our proposal, our love,
and the never-ending love that I'm sure Grandma Marge and Papa continue to share...
as they watch over us...


So, go grab your husband, and give him one of those kisses...
because TRUE LOVE never dies!

No comments: